Monday, March 3, 2014

Good Girl Moonshine...the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple Cider Vinegar...all I could think about when I first learned this was a part of Trim Healthy Mama was the fact that my dad always used it on his sunburns. And I remember more than anything the stink that accompanied this treatment! 
 
However...with age and Trim Healthy Mama comes wisdom (and the ability to give new things a try without gagging every time...ok most of the time).  There is a drink called Good Girl Moonshine (GGMS) which has apple cider vinegar in it that is a staple in my day now thanks to THM.  Here are some things I'm learning about ACV...

ACV is a huge promoter of good health...(this is from the Trim Healthy Mama Facebook page and author Serene)

"•It is abundant in potassium which is imperative for growth and building muscles, the transmission of nerve impulses, heart activity and preventing brittle teeth and hair loss.


 •It encourages weight loss by breaking down fats to be used instead of stored in your adipose tissue.

•It is loaded with acetic acid which slows the digestion of starch and lowers the rise in glucose levels that occur post mealtime.

•It is anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial due to its high levels of malic acid.

•It is super alkalinizing though being rich in ash.

•It lowers bad cholesterol and helps to regulate blood pressure.

•It is a powerful detox tool and improves bowel function

•It clarifies the skin

•New research reveals it shows strength in killing cancer cells or slowing their growth."


That last one?  Yea, I like that one.  Now here is the catch...you don't use just any old ACV if you want all the health benefits, which  let's face it, why else would you drink ACV, certainly not for the smell or taste itself!  You need to use a good, RAW apple cider vinegar.  Heinz may work for relieving sunburn pain but for the above benefits you need one such as Braggs.  I have found it at Drug Emporiums, the Granary (natural food store around here), Whole Foods and even our HEB has it.  

It is SO worth buying this one over the grocery store generic or Heinz, it's just a few dollars and will last quite awhile.  One...it doesn't have near the stink as the others and Two...the taste is not near as pungent either.  

If you want to start off Good Girl Moonshine once a day to get this wonderful supplement in your body, I highly suggest you start with just ONE or even 1/2 a Tbs of ACV per 2 cups water because you do need to let your tastebuds adjust, or atleast I did.  I now put 2 Tbs in 2 cups of water for my GGMS, but I started off with just 1/2 Tbs.  You will become addicted, I assure you.  Once you start adding a few strawberries or dark cherries, some lime and/or lemon juice and then sweeten with Stevia or honey...YUM (a few links to my favorite versions are below)!!  Some people even add plain sparkling water along with some berries and/or lemon/lime juice.  You can basically add any fruit flavor you like, just not an entire bag of fruit for just 2 cups of water or you will end up with extra carbs and sugars you don't need.  

Now, before I end this post...another ingredient in GGMS is ginger...in most Trim Healthy Mama drinks you will find one to four spices added.  They aren't there just for taste, they are all included for their health benefits as well!  There is no set amount for my daily drink...I just put a few sprinkles of powdered ginger in my glass.

Things you may not have known about ginger...

* It is wonderful when trying to combat nausea.

* It's a great digestive aid and gets your digestive juices moving (ACV is great for this too!). 

* It reduces gas and eases stomach cramping. 

* It aids the body in the absorption of essential nutrients.  

* It can help clear clogged sinuses, throat and nose congestion

* Best of all, it is one of the top natural foods with the most potent anti-inflammatory supplements (can help with arthritic conditions and other aches)
 
Made this one yesterday....ACV, lemon juice, ice, ginger, stevia and some Ningxia Red juice from Young Living (because I had some and it is a great nutritional boost) then topped glass off with water.

Good Girl Moonshine recipes I've tried and enjoy:
 Strawberry Limeade GGMS
(I have also done this with lemon juice and dark sweet cherries, add a little Vit. C and tumeric for even more health benefits...you can hardly tell there is ACV in there at all!)

Lime Twister GGMS

Almost like a margarita GGMS

The original THM GGMS recipe

Next post...Stevia, Truvia and Swerve...sugar free sweeteners.

  
 Photobucket 
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. HI, I love the strawberry lemonade like you can get at Wendy's. I can't have whole strawberries or anything with the tiny seeds in. Saying that, I "cooked" off all my frozen strawberries this past wk and canned the juice in the small jelly jars for this purpose. there is no sugar in this mix and I use the lemonade dry mix that we can use. Can I add ACV to this mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What happened to the Margarita version?

      Delete
    2. Good sharing, yes, apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps to boost metabolism, blocks the body’s storage of dietary fat plus breaks down and dissolves existing body fat. A study at Australia’s University of Sydney in which subjects who consumed two tablespoon of ACV daily experienced fewer surges and crashes in blood sugar levels. Read more at:
      http://kidbuxblog.com/apple-cider-vinegar-acv-helps-to-boost-metabolism/

      Delete
  2. Anonymous, you can add ACV to any drink to give it that extra "tang":-) I add it to my fruit teas all the time.

    Judy, I don't know, I've found several of my pinned posts from that blogger gone lately, maybe she stopped blogging much like I do off and on :-) I would assume it's lim juice, ACV, stevia, water, ginger and maybe add a drop of orange flavor to give it a flavor boost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you imagine the benefits of apple? People are aware only about 2-3 benefits of apples but it actually has enormous health benefits. Apple juice is the only way to stay healthy and disease free. Well, if you want to know how to make apple juice , you can check out the given link. I found this site very interesting as it is providing amazing apple recipes. So, try these receipts and make your body healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's true.. That is awesome.. Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete