Friday, February 1, 2013

February's Clean Up Habit (#4)


February already?  Man, January moved quickly.  How are your Cleaning Habits progressing?  Are you Making your Beds daily now?  That should be an easy one by now :-)  How about Dusting 2 Things daily?  Ok...that one has not become a great habit for me yet but it's better.  And how are we all doing with our Pile-Ups?  If I'm being honest here, mine is picked up 4 out of 7 days, which is progress so I have faith I will make it to full fledged habit!
from www.Clipartmojo.com
Alright, we are moving on to February!!!  The month of all things love...well, one thing I DO NOT love is laundry.  Sometimes I leave it in the washer too long and have to re-wash.  Most times I have to re-dry to get wrinkles out.  All times, I let it just pile. And let's face it, we can hide it all in one room when people are over so it's not something that is noticed as "clean" around our home to anyone but the doers of the laundry.  However...

It's time I start loving my laundry room.  Yes, I am asking you to do at least 1 or 2 loads a day to help you stay on top of it.  Now, if your family is larger...say 6+, you will need to do probably 3 loads a day.  And if your husband only has 3 good pairs of jeans and wears them 4 times a week, an extra random load might need to be thrown in.  You need something to entice you, yes?

One thing that has helped me enjoy it just a tad more recently was finally making my own detergent.  Yes, I know...how "granola" of me, but it's been on my to-do list for a few years.  It was so stinkin' easy and so far, I am loving the way it washes.  No over-powering smells, stains seem to wash out well, and it's CHEEEEEAAAAAP.  Here's what you do...
(I followed this blogger's version)
Grate (yes, with a cheese grater...it's soap, it will clean off well!) a bar of Fels Naptha soap (found in the laundry area of WM).  Mix the grated soap with 1 cup Borax and 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Powder (also found at WM).  TIP:  It will make it easier to scoop if you then take the flakes (I did 1/3 at a time because I used my small electric chopper instead of my blender) and a bit of the Borax (to keep it from sticking to the blender) and blend until the flakes are much more fine in texture.

I also grated a bar of Ivory and mixed with another cup of Borax and another cup of Super Washing Powder so I would have more detergent and a softer scent.

Place all of this in an air-tight container (I used an old Tupperware container that was sitting empty) and scoop out 1 heaping Tbs for regular loads, 2 for heavily soiled loads.  It will last a LONG time and it's soooo inexpensive. It will NOT suds up...see photo below for visual...
Now, one more thing that will help...do something fun with your laundry room.  Paint it...just the cabinets or one exposed wall...in a fun color.  Hang up a sign (Hobby Lobby always has these on sale...or find one on Pinterest to copy!).  Clean your washer and dryer off.  It's amazing how that can motivate me to get going.  Just having it de-cluttered.  Is it always that way for me?  Um...no.  But it does help.  In fact...I believe I'll go do that right now.
This was never more true when my little man was so sick a couple of weeks ago!
Third...get your first load going the minute you are free from either making breakfast or before the kiddos are up or right after they head off to school.  This will get one load out of the way early and you will be so happy to only have one or two more left for the day!

Alright...so you have your February assignment!  Love your Laundry!! 


 Photobucket
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment