Friday, November 9, 2012

Pink Warriors...

As many of you who have visited this blog probably know, I participated in the Susan G. Komen 3Day for the Cure last week. This was my 5th year to be involved and it never fails to encourage, inspire, bring me to tears, amaze me and of course, hurt my feet ;-) 

I signed up 5 years ago for two reasons...one was non-selfish, the other completely selfish.  My non-selfish reason(s), my grandmother and my aunt.  My maternal grandmother, was a breast cancer survivor, for as long as I can remember she only had one breast due to mastectomy.  My maternal aunt, whom I was as close to as any niece could be, passed away in her early 50's from 3 kinds of cancer while I was in college.  While she didn't have breast cancer, I feel raising money for any cancer research helps them all.  My selfish reason...at that time, I felt like I needed something bigger in my life, I felt like I wasn't making any kind of impact except with my family (which I now realize is the biggest impact I can have, but I digress...).  So I signed up and I've been signing up ever since.

True beauty...watching a survivor hobble in after walking 60 miles with tears in her eyes yet the biggest smile on her face.  
 True devotion...a husband walking for his wife while she recovers from her chemotherapy.  True determination...a man in his service fatigues walking with his wife, all 60 miles.  
 True adoration...a grandaughter walking for her grandmother and being able to hug her while on the route because she is beating this illness.  True joy...getting to eat dinner with my friend Lara who beat breast cancer last year before the walk.  True love...all of the names and faces on shirts who are no longer with us but we walk for them so others might not have to fight this monster.



I have made some incredible friends on this journey and I have brought along my best friend, made her walk right beside me for 4 years :-)  We can't imagine not doing it, until God decides to move us on to another mission field, this is where you will find me every November.

 
I encourage you to check out this amazing event.  Or even check out the Avon 2 day walk.  Or the American Cancer Society Making Strides walk.  Each one of us has been affected by breast cancer in one way or another...ourselves, our family, our friends.  You don't have to be an athlete to do these things, you just have to have the heart, the will and the want to serve and help fight the battle!


Thank you if you purchased one of our team t-shirts this year to help us raise our money!  We will have new shirts for sale in the upcoming months :-)  Gettin' ready for 2013 ya know!


 Photobucket
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment