Sunday, September 9, 2012

Easy Iced Coffee

Ok, so this is a no-brainer for most of you coffee drinkers, but for me, it was an "ah-ha!" finally moment :-)

I grew up in a non-coffee home.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I don't even think my parents had a coffee maker.  Let's skip along a few years...around 30 years of age and my lovely friend Julie introduced me to the ever-sweet and wonderful "gas station" cappucino.  I was hooked instantly.  Of course,  there really isn't a whole lot of coffee in that syrupy mixture, but it was so addictive.  Now, let's travel about 3 more years and my encouraging sister-in-law introduces me to the white chocolate mocha at that ever-popular coffee franchise. Oh. my.goodness.  Gone was the love of gas station coffee.  I was yet again hooked.

Now, over the last few years, I have advanced from those initial sweet drinks to lattes, other cappucinos and actual brewed coffee from home (but I do require quite a bit of creamer and flavor). I am not to the all-black method of drinking coffee, far from it, but I do like a cuppa java several times a week.

I am the only one in my house who likes it, yet again.  Hubby can't stand it.  I hate to brew more than a few cups worth because it's wasteful and to be honest, I never have time to drink more than one mug without it getting cold with the boys around!  I have also tried several of the pinterest versions of iced coffee which require overnight soaking of ground coffee, messy straining, etc... and come to find out, it was still a bit too strong for my taste, or maybe I was just not good at making it.   And it was a pain.

Anyhoo...I have discovered that if I make my normal 2 cups worth of coffee, enjoy the hot one right away and save the rest in a mug overnight in the fridge, all I have to do in the morning is add some cream (yes, I add actual heavy cream for this method), some vanilla syrup and a few ice cubes.  Then Wah-lah!  I have what I would consider a match to another popular fast-food-restaurant-with-a-King's "iced cappucino" (which is VERY tasty but is also close to $3 a cup!).  And I am happy to not be throwing coffee down my sink in a waste :-)
Ignore the Spiderman pillowcase in the background and the bagels on the cup ;-)  I love this cup.

Easy Iced Coffee:
1-2 cups brewed coffee (your regular brewed coffee)


Leave in fridge overnight (I just clean my coffee cup from the day and put it in there)
Heavy cream (I pour slowly, until it's very creamy and light in appearance)
Coffee syrup flavor to your taste (vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, mixture of lots, whatever)
ice cubes

Enjoy!
 Photobucket
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment