Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Beef Stroganoff

Well, I don't have any pictures of our actual meal, because we ate it all up before I thought "hmmmm, I really ought to write this down".

I have a great base recipe for beef stroganoff, however I have never been able to find one ingredient listed in the recipe...Lipton Garlic Mushroom soup mix. I can find every kind of onion mix out there, but no garlic mushroom. So I shy away from this recipe a lot.

Last night, however, I was ready to take it on and used a few spices I had on hand to sort of simulate the soup mix. Here is the recipe and it was SOOOOOO savory!!!

Beef Stroganoff
1 to 1 1/2 lb stew meat
2 Tbs flour
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 1/2 c water
1/2 c white wine (I used Chardonnay, a cheap one at that)
1/3 to 1/2 chicken bouillon cube (to your taste)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use 1/2 a batch of THIS recipe...soooo much better!)
1 c sour cream a bit of heavy cream (about a Tbs or so)
noodles (the fun wavy stroganoff looking noodles)

Take your stew meat and cut into bite sized pieces. Heat butter and oil in a pan. Put meat in a bowl and sprinkle with flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder, then mix to coat. Brown the meat in your oil/butter.

Once meat is browned, add water and wine, stirring meat while adding to avoid lumps. Stir in the chicken bouillon cube crumbles (I say crumbles b/c that's what mine does when I cut into one) and add minced garlic. I also added some crushed pepper and more salt at this point. Check on what tastes good to you. If it gets to salty, that's where the added heavy cream comes in handy later :-)

Add the mushroom soup, stir to mix and let this all simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, this is a definite must, helps the flavors saturate.  This soup already has extra mushroom pieces in it b/c I made it myself from the recipe link above so I didn't add extra mushrooms to the stroganoff.

When the timer dings, start cooking your noodles and add sour cream to your meat mixture. If the dish tastes too salty, add the bit of heavy cream to decrease saltiness.

Serve over your noodles, with a side of healthy steamed broccoli (and a touch of melted Velveeta) and enjoy!
 Photobucket
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment