Friday, April 20, 2012

Let It Cook Roast


We haven't had just a nice plain roast in quite awhile and over the last 3 years I've been in a rut using the same old recipe (which is actually for wild game and it uses bacon...but I never use the bacon and rarely do I have wild game.  Married to a hunter but I keep him too busy to hunt as he would like!).  It's a great one, don't get me wrong, but I wanted to try something just a bit different.  So here is my combination of old recipe and ideas from a couple of internet recipes...

You will need:
1 roast (I used a smaller 2.5lb shoulder this time around, but others will work great too)
1 envelope of dry brown gravy mix
1 envelope of Lipton Golden Onion dry soup mix
a dash of dry ranch dressing mix (approx 1/2 Tbs?)
1 1/2 cups water
a couple of potatoes, peeled and cut into good sized chunks
baby carrots
whole mushrooms cut in 1/2
1/4 of an onion cut in two pieces

Spray your crockpot with cooking spray then add your veggies.  The amount of carrots and mushrooms really depends on your family's likes/dislikes.  But really...what is better than vegetables cooked with a roast?! 

Place your roast on top.

Mix your dry mixes with 1 cup of water and pour over the roast...drizzling some over the sides onto the veggies also.  Add 1/2 cup of water around the sides of the roast where veggies are showing for some extra moisture.

I also sprinkled about a tsp or two of an Italian seasoning I have in my spice cabinet (it's a Pampered Chef mix) over the whole thing before putting the lid on.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours, depending on the size of your roast.  This came out very tender and flavorful.  I think it would be even more tender if about 1/2 way through cooking, you push the meat down into the juices a bit more.  I think I might add more ranch dressing mix too.  It was so easy and yummy!!
 Enjoy!!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment