Monday, April 16, 2012

Fat Boys!

This is a post from a previous blog but it bears repeating :-)
Last year, my hubby ("T") and I were introduced to some of the best bran muffins EVER.   A professor of T's from college recently retired so he and T have spent some quality hunting and visiting time together.  Because of that, I met Marsha, Mike's wife, who is a very recently retired home-ec teacher.  Not only did she bring us a batch of these muffins last spring but she also gave me one of the cookbooks she created before retiring loaded with her best home-ec recipes! 

Fat Boy Muffins are amazing.  Not only are they tasty but they are good for your belly (and other parts of ya).  I just keep the mix on hand in the refrigerator so we can eat them all month long.  When you try this recipe (because I'm fairly sure you will), go ahead and make the whole big batch because the mix will stay fresh in your refrigerator for up to 6 weeks!  It's so nice to be able to just dig some out to bake fresh muffins whenever you want them.

Fat Boy Muffins

In a large bowl (like a giant tupperware type bowl) mix together the following:
4 room temperature eggs
3 c sugar
5 c flour
5 tsp baking soda
1 c oil (I use canola)
1 qt buttermilk (low fat)
2 Tbs vanilla

Then add:
2 c raisins (I sometimes do 1 1/2 c raisins and 1 c cranraisins)
2 c pecans (I don't add these)
1 15oz box Raisin Bran (I have only found a 20oz or larger so I just eat the leftovers for breakfast!)
This is how much batter you still have after 12 muffins have been made.
Mix well and fill muffin cups about 2/3 full (If you have a Pampered Chef large scoop, I use one of those per cup).   Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes until golden brown.  Makes approx. 60 muffins.  These are just about 145 calories each (when made without nuts) and full of bran/fiber, etc...oh and did I mention YUMMY??!!!
I also long ago realized that it's worth the extra $1 for cupcake holders anytime I use a muffin tin because I truly do not enjoy cleaning muffin tins...so if you are like me, use cupcake holders. If not, use a good non-stick spray in your tin.
T and I eat on these for about a month.  JM (our oldest son) doesn't eat them because there is just too much "stuff" in them for his taste but he does agree they smell wonderful ;-)

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Heather! These are super yummy!

    ReplyDelete